Practical Information


Visa and Registration

International students should apply for “X1” (for more than 6 months) visa or “X2” visa (for less than 6 months) at the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre in the Hague with the original documents and one set of photocopies of the:

(1) Visa Application for Study In China (JW201 or JW202),

(2)Admission Notice,

(3) A valid ordinary passport.

In addition, applicants for X-visas need to submit the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. For F-visas, round trip air ticket and hotel booking records are required. Regular visa processing needs four working days. It costs € 70.70 for single entry, € 87.70 for double entries, € 105.70 for a 6-month multiple entry visa and €135.70 for a one-year multiple entry visa. Express services are also possible with surcharges depending on the processing speed.

After arriving in China you must register at a local police station. If you are not returning to your former address in the Netherlands or your post address does not remain the same for more than 8 months, you must deregister at your local town hall.

Holders of X-visas should go through the formalities for a residence permit at a local public security authority within 30 days after entry into China to avoid illegal stay. The validity of the residence permit is the legal period by which the holder is allowed to study in China. This residence permit also allows the holder to enter into or exit from China within the period of its validity.


Physical Examination

According to China’s quarantine regulations, international students who are planning to study in China for more than 6 months must submit copies of the Physical Examination Record for Foreigners. The examination record is only valid for 6 months after the date of examination, thus take the time limit into consideration before the test. The medical examination form will be sent to you by the Chinese institution where you have been enrolled.

After arrival, international students are required to go to the Health Quarantine Bureau to confirm the Physical Examination Record for Foreigner within prescribed time limit. Students failing to provide Physical Examination Record for Foreigner must have physical examination at the local Health Quarantine Bureau. If diagnosed to have any disease the laws prohibit entry in China, the student must return to his/her country at own expense.




You might find that some universities offer insurances, but these do not cover all expenses since both medical insurance and personal accidental death and injury insurance are required. We therefore strongly advise you to make sure you are well-insured before you go to China. There are several insurance companies that offer complete policies with worldwide coverage.

Some Dutch institutions have partnerships with insurance companies, others do not. One option is to ask your University for advice on insurance. Another option is to contact the Zorgverzekeringslijn. The Zorgverzekeringslijn can give reliable and objective advice on healthcare insurances. 



A foreign Visa/Master Card can be used in most ATMs in China. But an extra fee will be charged depending on your bank and there may be a maximum withdrawn amount restriction per day. Credit cards can be used at the larger hotels, department stores and restaurants, but do not expect to be able to pay with them at smaller establishments. Many banks accept traveller’s checks, but it may take many working days to be processed. You are recommended to prepare some cash on hand for short-term expenses.

It is also very easy to open a local bank account. Using a local bank account will save you much international transferring fee if you frequently pay by cards. Bank of China and Industrial and Commercial Bank of China are usually very popular among foreigners, since they are the two biggest banks in China with more ATMs and branches. Finally, it is a good idea to set up internet banking for your accounts for online ticket booking etc



China is a massive country, thus make sure to research your new city (transport, weather and culture…) before you leave. This will help you pack appropriately as well as arrived prepared to avoid getting stuck in the snow or melting in the summer sun. While there are no strict religious instances to pack conservative in most Chinese cities, we still encourage you to pack sensibly.

There is no need to over pack. Some foreigners believe that China lacks many daily products, food and clothing or think they are of poor quality. As a matter of fact, it is not true. In China, especially in big cities, you can easily find such items in large malls, big supermarkets even probably with cheaper price. Some supermarkets specially provide imported food such as cheese from Europe. Thus it is not necessary to overload your baggage unless you have a demand of special brands.

However, some specific prescriptions may be difficult to obtain once in China, please be sure to bring a sufficient supply for the duration of your stay. It's also a good idea to divide the medications among your bags in case one gets lost!


Student Life

Food and boarding are provided for students on campus, and consequently a typical student shares a room with several fellow students, and eats in the dining halls on campus. The closeness of students as a result of their living environment—especially crowded dormitories and dining halls—has become the hotbed for the flourishing of entertainment culture as well as student organizations of all sorts on China's university campuses.

Comparing to the earlier generations, students nowadays enjoy great freedom and diversity of activities both within and outside campuses. Chinese universities often organize social and massive activities including performances, athletic competitions, and public welfare activities. International students in China are welcome to all these activities. In addition, universities will organize special sightseeing and cultural events for international students. By taking in part such activities, international students will be able to have a better understanding of the Chinese culture.

If you like to go out, most cities offer a large variety of possibilities. Many Chinese like to sing karaoke. A lot of English songs in most KTVs. Going to bars and discos is also getting more and more popular but do expect to pay prices almost comparable with back home.



According to relevant Chinese laws, international students studying in China are forbidden to be employed, and work-study opportunity is relatively small. However, after graduation you can consider working in China. Thanks to the economic growth, the opportunities for foreigners who want to work in China have increased considerably in the last few years. Being able to speak Chinese and having first-hand experience of living in China are going to be a great advantage in terms of employment. Teaching English is one of the main job areas for foreigners in China, while there is also a growing demand for foreign experts in sales, engineering and management, etc.

Various Dutch organizations in China regularly hold networking events to help Dutch people who are looking for jobs in China. Before you sign a contract, make sure that your employer has applied all the documents allowing you to work legally in China




last modified Apr 16, 2018 08:03 AM